10.22.2004

Derivative

Spike's recent blog entries have had me thinking about the book of Ecclesiastes a lot, but his recent post in particular, has me thinking about creeds. The best popular book that I know of in defense of the early creeds and dogma in general, is Dorothy Sayers' Creed or Chaos?

"The Christian faith is the most exciting drama that ever staggered the imagination of man-- and the dogma is the drama. That drama is summarized quite clearly in the creeds of the Church, and if we think it dull, it is because we either have never really read those amazing documents, or have recited them so often and so mechanically as to have lost all sense of their meaning. The plot pivots upon a single character, and the whole action is the answer to a single central problem: What think ye of Christ?"

So here's a clip of me reading a little bit of the book to you. Sorry if I've got my best answering machine voice on, murmuring and all. Call it blog fright. Anyhow, my reading of this is a tip of the hat to Joel Dunham, the man that once sent out voice recordings of himself reading from The Brothers Karamozov and Ecclesiastes.


this is an audio post - click to play

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia