10.08.2004

Restored

My computer's back up and running, so much so that Abigail has begun selling my grandmother's Barbie dolls on Ebay. My grandmother's name was Mildred Heck, and, yes, that's where Mildred Elise Owen's name comes from and, yes, my Mildred has a little bit of Heck in her, too, though not strictly speaking. Abigail is feeling mighty fine that she has put all of those Barbies up, and she's bragging about it right now.

My latest "non-book" review for my internet class is up at audiobookreview.blogspot.com.
That's the last of the non-book reviews, and I'm grateful because they're hard to write; so much information to cram into one paragraph.
Anyhow, here's the best part of the reviews for those of you that don't care to actually read the reviews. My prof insists that the most important part of the review is the "qualifications of the reviewer" at the end of the review. So here are my qualifications for each of my reviews:

From the review of Elizabeth Cotten's Freight Train CD:

-The reviewer has a degree in English and continues to pursue his avid interest in folk history and musicology through acquiring, studying, and preserving the music of local singer/songwriters through his own field recordings.

(for anyone who doesn't know, while i was at houghton i constantly had a tape recorder with me, so much so that i found a belt holster for it. i would record anything. the above is an embellishment of this fact. and for the record, yes, joel dunham and i would pretend to be alan lomax recording fields, and occasionally recording farts.)

From the review of SpellBound:

-The reviewer has a Bachelor’s degree in English with a concentration in Secondary Education. As a young child, he was winner of his third grade spelling bee and constant runner-up in subsequent spelling bees. He has yet to surpass these achievements in his professional career.

(all true)

From the review of PasteMagazine:

-The reviewer of this article has a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and a long history of spending too much money on CDs. Now in the throes of tending to a family, working full-time, and going to school full-time, he finds himself in a budget crunch. Paste Magazine gives him enough of a music fix to get by while he waits for the time in the future when he can freely buy any CD he desires once again.

(paste magazine is great)

And, most recently, from the review of Jim Weiss' audio interpretation of Henty's The Cat of Bubastes:

-The reviewer has a B.A. in English with a concentration in Secondary Education. He is currently pursuing his MLS degree. Naturally drawn to stories of the fantastic, talking trees and the lot, he was pleasantly sucked into the all too realistic fiction of G. A. Henty after hearing Jim Weiss’ performance.

(this isn't entirely true because i had read henty before i heard jim weiss)

...
The tech. difficulties with my computer remain undiagnosed. I don't know what caused my computer to malfunction. I brought it into the store where I purchased it and have a warranty, and they told me I would have to have them send it out to Compaq for two weeks. I told the tech. man that I couldn't do that and he showed me how to reformat my computer. So I did so, my hard drive has been erased, and all of the programs reinstalled. My computer acts like a brand new baby.

1 Comments:

Blogger trawlerman said...

reviewing is a perfect job for a guy whose only prctical skill is reading!!!!!! Ok and mabey beer tasting!
Scott Terry | 10.09.04 - 9:25 pm | #

1/02/2005 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia