10.12.2004

Untitled Banter (today's UB)

During my 505 intro class, our prof was asking us what kinds of books we read when we were in 5th grade (the context is irrelevant to my story). An eager student in the front row calls out "TinTin."

Dr. Library Prof looks befuddled, and he asks "what's that?"

As there was momentary silence, I piped up, "A French comic book."

"Oh," says Dr. Library Prof, "Okay."

And as he's acknowledging my answer, another voice comes from the rear of the room, "Belgian!"

But for whatever reason, no one chose to acknowledge this voice. Others begin to add aloud their 5th grade reading.

This voice had corrected me, to my shame. Of course TinTin is a Belgian comic, I know that.

So, as the story ends, in my evening 506 class, I see the girl that I believe to be the voice of the "Belgian!"
I approach her and ask, "are you the person who shouted out Belgian!?"

This girl looks at me, confused, but soon shakes her startle, and replies in the affirmative. I thank her for having corrected me, and tell her that I truly should have been more precise in my answer and said that TinTin is a French-language Belgian comic book, not a French comic book.

1 Comments:

Blogger trawlerman said...

i lost your email address and am blog stupid. if it's here it's in a different spatial dimension than where i am. i write to tell you of my amazing cornbread site that also includes an excellent self-taken photo of me. so:

http://bscstudent.buffalostate.edu/rizzts23/web/

that is all.
Tim | 10.16.04 - 4:02 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tim, i can't control myself, i shared your site with the world (or at least the two other people that read my blog). i also added my email address to this site, which, as you found, was previously missing.
John Owen | Email | Homepage | 10.17.04 - 7:42 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/02/2005 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia