12.16.2004

The King says:

"I don't see myself as God's stenographer. As someone who believes in God, believes that God is a logical out growth of the fact that life fits together as well as it does, but that doesn't mean that we know God's mind... There's been a lot of criticism of the book where they say the God stuff really turns them off. I'm thinking to myself that these guys have no problems with vampires, demons, golems, werewolves and you name it. If you try to bring in a God who can take sardines and crackers and turn it into loaves and fishes, then these people have a problem. I say to myself, if you have a real problem then I'm doing what a novel of suspense and horror is supposed to do, which is to just scratch below the surface and sought of rub your nerves the wrong way."

-Stephen King

I recently read Thinner, and I've become absolutely convinced that the horror genre is (or can be) an overwhelmingly powerful Christian genre. Thinner ends about as horribly as it possibly could, no redemption at all, everyone plagued by the sickness that the protagonist could have taken on himself. Our protagonist becomes a sort of Anti-Christ figure, powerfully displaying the end of sin's consequences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia