6.20.2005

Share

I enjoy a lot of things on the world wide web, but one of my absolute favorites is Cory Doctorow's frequent posts on copyright over at BoingBoing.

Yesterday, while plugging his new novel, Doctorow shared a Woody Guthrie quote that should become the mantra of those opposed to current U.S. copyright law...

"Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do."

I'm planning on buying a hard-copy of Doctorow's new novel, but anyone interested can download it for free at his website, then do whatever you want with it! I'm thinking about going to the signing at Bakka Pheonix on my birthday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also much in sympathy with Doctorow's position on copyright, etc.

What are your thoughts on his fiction?

Are you buying his book as moral support or do you particularly enjoy his work?

6/20/2005 7:54 PM  
Blogger trawlerman said...

Rundy,

Support, and in response to a rather astounding Gene Wolfe recommendation:

"SOMEONE COMES TO TOWN, SOMEONE LEAVES TOWN is a glorious book, but there are hundreds of those. It is more. It is a glorious book unlike any book you've ever read." -Gene Wolfe

I haven't read much of his fiction, no more than a few short stories on the web. Not enough to throw out a sure opinion, but enough to keep reading.

6/22/2005 8:49 PM  
Blogger trawlerman said...

P.S.
Rundy,

I never thanked you for the links to the Batman reviews. I just saw the film this past Monday and I may or may not post my thoughts. Overall, I enjoyed it, and basically agreed with its core message: you are what you do, not what you are.

A serious challenge from a superhero movie.

6/22/2005 9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Doctorow's first novel.

My uncle got me a personalized signed copy. (Yow-wow and all that.)

I haven't read any of his fiction beyond the first novel.

Glad you appreciated the Batman reviews.

6/24/2005 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia