6.17.2005

Woman's Body = Nuclear Power Plant

My family visited Messiah's Congregation in Brooklyn during our last visit to Long Island. The day we chose to visit happened to be the day of the baptism of Pastor Schlissel's granddaughter, and the gracious host invited us to a barbecue/picnic party celebration. Probably the most memorable part of the day for me was speaking of Eastern Orthodoxy with Schlissel's son-in-law, while perhaps the funniest part of the day to tell others of is that Schlissel initially thought that I was lying to him when I told him that my name is John Owen.

Schlissel is one of my favorite preachers and I have greatly appreciated his having posted over 100 sermons online at SermonAudio, where they can be downloaded for free.

My favorite is a two-part series covering the Book of Samuel, entitled "David: Covenant King."

You can get them here:

David: Covenant King (Part 1)

David: Covenant King (Part 2)

What Schlissel does in these sermons (in my opinion) is convey the Biblical text as Story. He makes plenty of applications, but never strays far from simply telling us a story. What's even more, he sounds like he's enjoying(!) his subject material, and that he himself is actually in awe of David, this man after God's own heart.

I've had these Schlissel sermons for a couple of years and I've listened to them many times, but I just listened to them again during my recent trip back from LI. I was inspired to listen to them once again because I've been reading Samuel and I just recently started listening to James Jordan's lecture series on Samuel before I left last Friday.

The passage relating Absalom's death has especially stuck with me for the past couple of weeks, and I've reflected on it often, mostly wondering about Joab.


postscript.
(The title of this post is only one of the wild, but accurate, analogies that you'll absorb if you listen to the Schlissel sermons. Enjoy!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia