7.29.2005

Here, Hear!

Jonathon Winters wants me to indulge in music list-making with him. I will give in this time, but I won't pass the tag on.

Directions: List your current six favorite songs and then tag six other people to do the same in their journal

(Note: In addition to simply listing the songs, I've uploaded them to YouSendIt so that anyone interested can hear the songs. Same deal as always with YouSendIt: one week or 25 downloads, whichever comes first.)

1) In the Pines - trad. arr. by Huddie Ledbetter

(This song popped into my head as I was walking out of the grocery store yesterday, and it hasn't popped out yet.)

2) In Your Hands - Sounds Like Fall

(I bought this album because I absolutely trust Gallman's taste in music. I'm glad I bought it. This song is a perfect honkeytonk hymn, and reminds me of something that Woody Guthrie may have written late in his life, or that Hank Williams may have written after waking up from a drunken stupor.)

3) Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts - Sufjan Stevens

(I've resisted for a long time, but I've done gone broke down and become an all-out Sufjan groupie with the rest of the world.)

4) Zpivam, Pane mec v ruce mam - Svatopluk Karasek

(Said the Gramophone posted this song early this morning. The lyrics alternate between Czech and English... "I'm singing with the sword in my hand." I can't get it out of my head.)

5) Psalm 45 - The Trees

(I've posted about this song before. It's the greatest psalm rendition I've heard in a long time; it captures the heart of the psalm while expressing an air of medieval festivity in the context of a decidedly American "hippie" scene.)

6) Vengeance, pt. 2 - Wooden Wand

("We will recover, but who can see when; there's never a quiet enough time." The constant refrain of "and god says vengeance is mine" comes as a sober warning, whether Toth understands the words he sings or not.)

That's it. Six.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only one of these I've heard is Sufjan. Looks like I've got a lot of listening to do...

8/08/2005 5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia