8.17.2005

Bathroom Readers

Spike may be pleased to know that I'm on my way through the 4th chapter of the Desert novel.

I had committed to reading it starting on the 1st of July. Spike, due to circumstances, didn't get it to me to me until several days into July, and by that time my resolve had broken down. I'm still not sure what kind of block I was suffering from, but I've had the same block with many other books that I've put off for a long time.

So far, I am really enjoying it and have only had some quibbles with some phrasing, but don't know that I have any better suggestions.

Anyhow, I brought it into the bathroom to read on the toilet tonight, which is a sure sign of something.

Here's a snippet that I read (and enjoyed) tonight:

"Since when were you going to be a priest?" asked Isaac, as soon as we got in the car.
"Since when I was 12 and foolish," said Frank.
"No sex," said Dennis.
"Yes, but a costume and a purpose," said Frank, "just like a superhero."

7 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

A Costume and a Purpose

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050818/481/fkoe10808181228

8/18/2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

What kind of book is that, SF or something else?

8/18/2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger trawlerman said...

Abigail said, "He looks more like an Arch-Villain, actually."

!

8/18/2005 3:57 PM  
Blogger trawlerman said...

"What kind of book..."

?

LitFic, with a dash of Magic Realism, so far.

If it were being shelved in a public library, it would fall under Fiction, because it's not readily identifiable as Classics, Romance, Mystery, Western, or Science Fiction/Fantasy.

Spike may be able to tell you better than I can.

He wrote it, after all.

You can get a copy from him if you'd like.

8/18/2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Spike,

If you make your way on here tell me how I can get a copy.
I'll pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8/18/2005 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. from abby

i meant no disrespect by "archvillain."

it was the first thing that popped into my head when i saw face bordered by billowing cape.

(a kindly archvillain, of course.)

8/18/2005 9:14 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

>>>"i meant no disrespect by "archvillain."

I actually thought he looked a little villainous myself. It must be that gothic German look he needs to express back on his home soil.

Spike,

Instead of all that trouble maybe I can get John's copy when he is done with it. Thanks.

8/19/2005 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia