11.05.2005

Harold Harrington: The Board Game

Not really, but maybe the next best thing.

Hammer of the Scots is a wargame based on the Scottish Wars of Independence.

I've read all of the reviews that I could find, and everything that I've read suggests that the game is a rather light, accessible wargame, meaning, of course, that none of you true sons of the Kirk have any excuse for not buying this.

From Paper Wars:

"Hammer of the Scots is a well-researched, visually strong, highly playable game on this fascinating period in history. If you like block games, or thinking of trying one, or are interested in the subject matter, this one is a very safe buy. For some war gamers it may come across a little light--at times I personally desired a little more elaboration and chrome. But I must admit, my fellow gamers expressed no desire for more detail and loved the swift flow of play just how it is, and I believe this is no accident. Hammer of the Scots was clearly designed as a player's game, with the emotional sweep of this war of independence well reflected. Both players feel the huge burden of their task, and are required to use all their resources and wits to make it happen, but without the obstacle of poorly conceived rules and mechanics. Kilt, claymore, and clan, this one is a keeper."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe you still play bored games. yeah i spelled that right. get with the program and buy the new xbox360. you'll never have to open up boxes and say, "oh man! we're missing a piece! sorry guys, you'll have to drive all the way back home cuz all i got are BORED games, and none of that awesome technology that microsoft and sony keeps putting out."

jokes aside we should take over ben's place and set up a board to play some weekend soon. good idea?!?

11/05/2005 8:45 PM  
Blogger trawlerman said...

This abuse coming from a closet Zombies! freak.

11/05/2005 9:25 PM  
Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra said...

One of the best things about Hammer of the Scots is that the fourteen Scottish nobles are the "victory points" and are also fairly powerful combat units. Moray remains loyal to Scotland, but the other nobles flop back and forth. Instead of dying when defeated in combat, the noble joins the side that defeated him.

To be fair, this isn't Memoir '44 (a game that I enjoy, BTW). Hammer of the Scots is definitely a full-grown wargame, complete with some of the fiddly rules. However, if you're looking for the experience of leading a desperate Scottish resistance or trying to reach into the Highlands before winter falls, you will not be disappointed.

11/07/2005 7:27 PM  
Blogger trawlerman said...

Seth,

Thanks for the comments on the game.

I've never really been a wargamer, mostly because I've been turned off by all of the ugly punch-out pieces and hexes. The Columbia Games block pieces look really appealing to me, though. Memoir '44 is another game that I'd like to buy soon. I haven't played it, but I've heard all of the buzz, and it, too, is visually appealing.

When I was in high school, my friends and I started getting into Warhammer and miniature games, but quickly realized that it would become too expensive to continue. We settled on a game called Fuzzy Heroes, and that was our dominant miniatures/wargame of the time. We also played Risk and Axis and Allies, but never really got into any Avalon Hill or any other "serious" wargames.

Now that I've been wading in gaming communities once again, I've mostly been attracted to Eurogames, but I'm starting to dip my toes in the wargame side of the pool.

11/09/2005 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia