1.02.2006

Closer to the Grave

We're getting closer to the grave each day
Mortal man won't you stop now and pray
Leave the road of sin alone, let Jesus lead you home
We're getting closer to the grave each day


-Hank Williams


A few weeks ago, I bought a large stack of comics at a GoodWill store. They were all from the 60s and 70s, a couple dozen or so, bought cheap because they were all missing their covers.

One of these purchased comics is Tomb of Dracula #59, the August, 1977 issue.

I've never read any Tomb of Dracula, and have heard very little about it, so I had no expectations heading in.

Brief narrative summary: A team of vampire hunters, each one of them seeking revenge, will not stop until Dracula is dead. Against their better judgement, they follow the lead of one of Dracula's followers, who has his own reasons for betraying his dark lord. The betrayal and subsequent attack on Drac's life is scheduled to occur during the Feast in celebration of Drac's newborn son.

The best moments are when the various vampire hunters are almost working against each other, because, even though they are superficially a team, they each feel the need to be the one that destroys their evil foe. In the ensuing battle at the feast, a bullet meant for Dracula passes through him, as he turns to mist, and strikes and kills his infant son.



Dracula strikes out in his fury, killing the traitor, and about to turn his wrath on the hunters, when his human wife stops him from doing so.

It is at this point that things get even stranger. Dracula's wife, Domini, has been following someone whose likeness adorns the wall; a picture of Jesus (this is an assumption on my part that it is Jesus- the painting is never explicitly referred to by that name, but it seems obvious - but don't take my word for it, for all I know this is a picture of Dr. Strange in the costume he wore in the '70s).

Here is the concluding dialogue from the last three panels....

Dracula: But.. But something prevented me from touching it... from removing that mocking portrait from the wall. And now.... you tell me that you listen to his words over mine? How could you, wife? How could you?

Domine: Dracula, you are my husband, the man I love. The father of my child. Please, come here. Embrace me, and accept His words. He will show you the way. Take my hand, my love. Please, take my hand.

Dracula: (As he's saying this, he's turning into a bat and flying away from his wife) After all this time... you simply do not understand me. You can't understand what I've become, and why I can't do what you ask me to do! Lord help me... I can't!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning. —Reiner Knizia